We were invited to two special weddings this summer back in good old California and lucky enough they were a week apart so we got to attend both of them while planning our much needed vacation of beach fun and friends and family in between. So after spending all week to pack up (yes it takes me forever to pack up ALL the boys stuff and mine) we hit the road at 8pm on Friday night... yup Josh got off work WAY later than we expected but being the awesome man he is, he wanted to get work done so he wouldn't have to do any while on vacation! So me being the super awesome wife packed up the car and everything while taking care of the boys, so we just had to hop in and hit the road. Luckily Joey fell asleep after the first hour and Brayden was entertained and content watching a movie. About an hour before we hit Cedar Joey woke up and was screaming, he hates the car. Brayden was hyper as can be!! We pull into Cedar about 1 am and the kids are so hyper to be out of the car, they did not want to go to sleep and me and Josh were sssooooo tired. Finally I said screw it around 2am and put them to bed and let them cry it out for awhile, feeding off each others cries.
The next morning we had an appointment with our wonderful photographer Kirsten Reynolds (whom I recommend to Everybody, she is AMAZING and super talented) which we were running late to because we slept in..oops. We got some super cute photos for Joeys 1 year pictures. I will post them on the 1 year blog. She took some nice ones of just me and Josh because since we have 2 kids, "ain't nobody got time for dat" Then we hit the road after than with only 7 more hours to go...blah. It was such a long drive. Brayden does extremely well traveling he loves the car and likes to watch movies and play games on my phone and just stare out the window, he did so so good. Joey....well.. that's a different story, he hates the car and being restrained in anyway. He would kind of nap but is a tummy sleeper so he just couldn't get comtreble. But we stopped only a few times for diaper changes and play pen time at McDonalds to get their energy out. Brayden would chase the girls and Joey would run around pointing at all the ceiling fans and lights which was the start of his light/ceiling fan obsession. We were about an hour and 15 mins away from Camarillo on the 210 when a bad accident happens and traffic is Stopped, horrible timing, after 15 mins of just sitting there not moving, Josh magically got us off the exit and took some back roads and the boys were so so done, especially Joey and I won't lie, I was beyond done too!! So I really don't miss Cali traffic at all.
Few pics of the session, more on his 1 year post
During our stay in Camarillo, our dear friends, the Susans or the Moms (we like to call them) were kind enough to let us stay at their place because we no longer had a place to stay since Josh's parents moved to Joshua Tree. It worked out just perfect! Even though I was freaking out because my boys are crazy and I was terrified the were going to break something!! (which they didn't, thank god) So we settled in and get the boys down for bed and spend the rest of the evening with Ryan, catching up and relaxing. The next morning we just hung out with the boys and got ready for the wedding of Nicole Lundgren and Elliott Brown. Brayden was asked to be the ring bearer and we felt so honored that they had us part of their special day! Again I was super nervous, Brayden is well...crazy and uncontainable in public situations a lot of the time. He did sssooo good. We got to hang out in the bridals room while they got the beautiful bride ready with all the bridesmaids. I tried to spike his hair but would not cooperate so he ended up with a Mohawk which turned out adorable and he just played his game on my phone while we all gushed over him in his suit and tie. Like 10 minutes before we were getting ready to have him walk down the aisle, he started acting out, he was bored and wanted to play, so I did everything I could to distract him until it was his turn. Finally I put him down and the Flower girls held his hands and he pulled them down the aile, like come on girls keep up! And Everyone got a kick out of him and he ran straight to Dad while I ran around to avoid being seen. He was perfect!! I can't wait to see pictures :) It was a beautiful and fun wedding, they had a little play area for kids which worked perfect for us, the boys had a blast on the slides and tire swing. During the reception and speeches, Brayden was running everywhere, and racing his cars on the dance floor and just hamming it up with the photographer(whom he loved fyi) This kid did not stop running the whole 4 hours we were there. And Joey was everywhere too but was so shy if anyone looked at him he would run back to me or Josh crying. I also made Brayden and black shirt that said Ring Security on the back that he wore for the reception (because what 2 year old will keep a tie on!?!) Everyone got a kick out of it. It was so nice seeing all our friends again, even though it would have been nicer if we weren't chasing around two toddlers all night :) But we had a blast and loved seeing old friends and seeing one of my good friends walk down the aisle to her dream guy!! That night the kids and myself were exhausted!!
Some misc Wedding Photos
The next morning we take our time loading up and head out to Zuma Beach (where Josh proposed fyi) to take the boys for their first trip to play in the sand and waves!! It was actually a perfect day and honestly felt a little chilly but was not windy for once! Brayden could not get enough of the sand and running around chasing the seagulls and of course chasing the waves. They were pretty strong and this kid had no fear what so ever so we had to hold his hand cause if he got knocked down the waves would have dragged him out. He loved being pushed around by the waves and letting it splash over his feet then pull towards the ocean. He is fearless and it freaks me out but he did very well holding our hands and playing in the sand. He also found and hole so we started burying him and he just loved the feeling and sensory of the sand on his legs. He buried his cars next to him (of course) Jordan loved sitting with the little shovel and just dig,digging away and of course trying to eat it. He loved looking at the waves and hearing them but was pretty afraid of them but we eventually got him to put his feet in, then he was hooked!
Beach pics overload!!
After a couple hours the boys were done and ready for naps, so we heading out for our 3 hour drive to Joshua Tree to visit Karen and Richard for a few days. Again, Joey hates the car, finally took a hour nap and woke up the the huge windmills, that both boys were pointing and so excited to look at, they both were amazed by them, it was pretty cute. Made it to in in-laws and had and yummy rib dinner and just unpacked (again..blah) and enjoyed our evening. Lucky us they have a pool to hang out in. So a few evenings we put the boys in and they enjoyed it. Brayden was hit and miss, the pool was to deep for him to touch so we had to hold him and be with, so he was pretty bugged about it but still loves the water and floating around in brothers turtle which Joey hated and wanted to be held. My boys are so opposite it is ridiculous sometimes. They have a cute dog named Gracie which Brayden could not get enough of. They chased each other around, played tug a war, and got lots of kisses!
The first night there, I somehow threw out my back and was in so much pain I didn't sleep and couldn't move. It was horrible so I spent the next day on the couch while josh and Papa had boy duty. We took them to a near by park and swam, and just relaxed it was pretty nice having a few extra hands! I went into the Chiropractor the next day and got adjusted and felt better, sore but at least I could move again. So Thursday we packed up and heading back to Camarillo. Hit traffic again!?! So Joey just broke down and beyond done again and I was losing my mind again. I swear traffic has gotten so much worse since we left and its like a million times worse when you have young children who hates the car. We spent some time with Josh's brother Jon and his Girlfriend Kim and our nephews!! The boys had so much fun playing with their cousins at the park and we had yummy Chinese food! The 3 older boys are all pretty close in age. Tyler is 8 months older than Brayden and Ben is 4 months younger than him. Lots of fun seeing the boys interact and catching up with Jon and Kim again, I wish we lived closer again so we see our nephews more and hang out!! That night we were back at the Susans :) Bathed the kids watched some movies and sent them to bed so Josh and I could watch some TV together for once.
Friday rolls around and we take our time and head out to a different more closer beach. It was a pretty windy day and overcast but that did not stop the boys from having a blast digging and throwing and chasing the ball around in the sand! I think the wind was bothering Joeys very sensitive ears cause he kept putting his towel over his head and keeping it there, it was the funniest thing! We get back to the Susans and get ready for a small get together with some of our friends whom we haven't seen since we moved to Utah over 2 years ago. Everyone started showing up and it was fun! Boys got to say hi for a bit but then they were ready for bed, so we had some adult time and boy did we need it. Sat in the hot tub and talked, drank, and laughed like the good ol days!! I miss California for the people there, not the state, but our good good friends that we just have a special bond with and can always pick up where we left off!
Saturday was our chill day of starting to pack and cleaning up from the party. Took the boys to the Park and Davey and Jon meet us there. Brayden just clings to his Uncle Davey he LOVEs him, I think its because he is so tall and is like a teddy bear :) Brayden totally ate it off the slide and had a huge sand rash right in the middle of his forehead, people probably think I beat my children with all the bruises these two rack up. He loved to swing on Uncle Daveys lap and actually said his name which is the first time he has EVER said any ones name besides ma and daddy. We got back to the Susans and relaxed then heading over to our friend Andrews house for dinner and drinks with some other friends. We brought the boys sleeping stuff so we could put them to bed after dinner. Joey fought it for a bit but then was fine. Brayden did not want to go to sleep, I had to bribe him with my phone while daddy hung out with him for a bit and we just talked and hung out in the hot tub. It was nice spending some one on one with one of my besties Lauren. The night ended and we took the asleep boys back to the Susans and BAM they woke up and did not want to go back to sleep!! We were up with them until about 2 am then finally I just put them to bed and let them cry it out but felt horrible because they were right in the middle of the bedrooms which people were sleeping. They didn't cry too long but still felt horrible.
On a side note.. our car starting acting funny and making noises and the check engine light came on and through the night got worse...blah
Sunday rolls around and Josh gets up first thing to try and take the car in to get it fixed. Luckily there was a place open on a Sunday. So I had the boys to myself that morning and Brayden was OUT OF CONTROL, I think the vacation finally caught up with him and he was done. He would not stop crying and freaking out for no reason. Everyone in the house was still asleep I felt so bad and tried everything to stop him. I took him outside and he just screamed and screamed. I thought the neighbors were going to call the cops on me because he made it sound like I was killing him!! He finally calmed down and went down for a nap but Joey was into everything and teething and screaming too!! Then Josh calls and tells us the damage of 1200 to get our car fixed to get us home that night...ugh But what do you do, things like this happens but why does it happen when your on freaking vacation!!! Well we had a enjoyable breakfast with the Susans, Kristina, and McKayla, and I started packing yet again because after the wedding that night we were going to drive to Vegas while the boys slept. I can not thank the Susan's enough for letting us invade their house and let the boys turn it upside down!! We could not have made this trip happen if it wasn't for them. Some the sweetest ladies I know and freaking love them!!
We get to the wedding and Brayden is already acting out and right when the Ceremony begins I have to take him up the hill because he is freaking out because he wants to run to the front like he did the last wedding but I wouldn't let him..sadly I missed the ceremony but heard it was lovely and very sweet!! The Bride looked amazing :) We get into the reception for cocktail hour and the boys are already running around on the dance floor but we had some extra help from our friends again! So Brayden yet again made the dance floor his race track and Joey got a kick out of climbing up the stairs and waiting for us to chase him while he goes for the projector screen.. lol so we took them outside to run some laps and Joey falls and hits his forehead/nose on the corner of the concrete stairs and gets a black eye. So the boys had pretty much matching head wounds. GREAT!! We had a good time dancing and talking with more friends, dinner was yummy, they even made Brayden some chicken nuggets and fries!! Super sweet :) We were having so much fun.. we left way way later than we wanted.It so so hard leaving such good friends, we really don't have too many friends out here and just miss them so much! We left at 10:30 instead of 8:00 and still had to drive to Vegas but we knew we couldn't make that far, so we headed to Joshua Tree because it was only 3 hours away. We took turns driving but both boys slept the whole time and it was the best drive of the whole trip..haha. Made it about 1:30 am
Monday Morning, we hit the road as early as we could. The drive home seemed to take FOREVER!!10 hours in the car in one day is too much for me, I can't even imagine how the boys felt. Joey took a few naps here and there but like I said before hates the car. Josh was tired so I drove for a bit while he climbed to the back to hang out with boys and they all fell asleep and it was so cute.. like father like son moment.. sleeping the same. We made a few stops at Parks and gas stations to let the boys get their wiggles out. We made it home around 9pm and they boys were so so happy they just played and played with their toys and went running around like all night. I was up pretty late with them again but this time I didn't care because we were home!!
I love California and Vacations but...damn it is hard with kids... I need a vacation from my vacation...alone :) Thank you to all the friends we saw and letting us be part of their specials days and for putting up with my crazy boys. We miss you all so much xoxo




















































Hi Arlena I'm just catching up on your blog posts. Thank you for posting these updates, it helps me feel connected :-) Sounds like you guys got to catch up with all your Cali friends and family, I'm glad! I totally thought Brayden just had a big lipstick kiss on his forehead lol I didn't notice them being crazy or anything, just kids having fun. I love the photos of Joey and Sophia, so cute!
ReplyDelete